>> SYBIL HOWARD AWARD
SYBIL HOWARD AWARD
The Sybil Howard Community Service Award
- running a social group
Sybil Howard, who died in 2014, was a longtime resident of Chetnole, living at the Old Forge in Mill Lane from 1951 until her death. She was a children’s nurse, a midwife and a health visitor. Her life was dedicated to the community she served, not only as a nurse but as a member of the Parochial Church Council, the W.I., local charities and the Flower Show Committee. She was also an enthusiastic participant in most village events, participating in full - from barn dancing at the Jubilee party, to teddy-bear parachuting for the Church; from attending Artsreach events to Garden Club membership, and so much more. She was always one of the first to welcome newcomers to the village, offering help and advice, and was a great supporter of local tradespeople.
As a tribute to her, Sybil’s family have created the Sybil Howard Community Service Award to recognise voluntary community service in or near Chetnole. After discussions with the Parish Council, PCC and Village Hall Committee, it was agreed that this award, the Sybil Howard Cup, should be presented at the Chetnole Fete and Flower Show each year, as it is a time when many of the village will be represented.
Those who live in Chetnole are invited to nominate a resident of Chetnole of any age, or who has recently passed away, who they believe has provided a voluntary community service within the local area. The person nominated should have demonstrated exceptional service or kindness to other members of the local community, for example:
- providing a particular act of kindness during a crisis
- a sustained act of ‘thoughtfulness’ such as looking after a neighbour in need
- organising a village event
- volunteering to maintain a village facility
- contributing to village life via a significant gift
- providing commercial services beyond ‘commercial interests’ (that is, not just for
- wholeheartedly participating in village events
This year things are running a little differently because of the impact of Covid 19, however the Nomination Form will be available HERE - NOMINATION FORM or:
- In the Church Porch – so please feel free to pick one
- Via the Village Diary – please print off a form and fill it in.
Voting Boxes to place nomination strips - by Friday 17 July 2020:
- Box placed in the Church Porch
- Box placed in the Old Red Telephone Kiosk